In the heart of Lazio, there is a small one borough: Genazzano.
Already known in ancient Rome as a holiday destination, in the last century it comes
visited by thousands of tourists, especially in July, for a particular event:
It all started in 1883 when His Excellency Vincenzo Monsignor Vannutelli, drafted the statute
of the Association of the Apostolate of Prayer in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and for
remembering this event, the procession and the infiorata are celebrated during the first sunday of july. That day is not only considered an event for the faithful but also for
tourists who, walking through the districts of the village, can admire the long carpets ofpetals for a length that exceeds 1800 meters, starting from Piazza G. D. E. D’amico passing Porta Romana, until you get to Piazza Repubblica
For this event there is an annual preparation, in which each district decides what to draw; of usually reproduced details of famous works: from Caravaggio, passing through Leonardo Da Vinci, up to Raffaello; but the times in which the works are reminiscent of the symbols of Genazzano or simply depictions of the Madonna, the Popes and the Saints.
The week before the Infiorata, the associations of each district collect the natural flowers that subsequently they are selected and separated from the petals, which will be kept in the tufa cellars to maintain freshness. These petals will be used to make the drawings that will take place on Saturday night and the first lights of Sunday. It is not just the associations of the districts (which are twenty-three for the record), but there is also an active participation of citizens, who help in completing the drawings.
HOW TO GET THERE:
- By car: about 56 min 50.3 Km passing through A1 direction E821
- By bus * one way ticket price € 4.30 | 50 min. about | frequency: every hour
or two | 0 changes:
○ from Rome Ponte Mammolo: (Zagarolo) – Palestrina – Genazzano – (San
○ from Rome Anagnina: – San Cesareo – Zagarolo – Palestrina – Genazzano –
(Olevano Romano – Bellegra – Rocca Santo Stefano / Roiate) / (San Vito
Romano) / (Piglio bv – Acuto – Fiuggi) / (Piglio – Trevi nel Lazio – Filettino).
- By train * and bus ticket price € 2.60 + € 1 | 1 h and 40 min. about | 1 change:
○ from Roma Termini to Zagarolo: high frequency every 28 min.
○ from Zagarolo take the bus to Genazzano cited above.
* The times and the frequency of the routes can change on holidays.